How I Have Shared My Talents
According to their mission statement, Wells is “... a non-profit organization that supports fundamental societal change through innovative and entrepreneurial action“. In recent years their focus has been on youth and adult homelessness. Each year they disburse approximately $100,000 in grants across between 10 and 20 local agencies who have applied for those grants.
My most significant contribution to the Wells Foundation has been (a) initially maintaining their website on Joomla and (b) later rebuilding the site in WordPress. The new site went live in June 2017. Please take a look at:
- The website itself.
- The documentation I created mainly for the “members-only” area of the site that is used by board members.
- Missionary efforts on behalf of Episcopalians in Cuba involving two visits to that country (in 2005 and 2007). Mainly we helped with building repairs.
- Fundraising, planned giving, multimedia presentations, and event planning.
- Developed courseware that was made available without cost to colleges and universities.
- Corporate Offices United Way chair for 1 year.
- Installed office computer system for Vail Place, a Minneapolis nonprofit devoted to advocating for, and providing, mental health services to underserved populations.
- Read to students at the nearby Anderson Elementary School.
- Minnesota Marriage Equality initiatives – assisting my wife in hosting a fundraising event to defeat the proposed state constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.
- St Cloud State Reformatory — tutoring inmates on piano and other basic musical skills.
For volunteer musical activities click here.